Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Trailer Life ain't no Picnic

Day five in teeny tiny annoying trailer in Wickham Park. We forgot that Sept. (Along with May) is lovebug season here in Florida. In case you're not familiar with these nasty little insects, they are little black bugs resembling fireflies without the fire that fly end to end as they mate in the air and splat against your car. Florida has a peculiar affinity for these critters and highways are the worst war zone for them to attack. Oddly enough, once they mate, the male dies, the females lay their eggs and then She dies!  What a short, joyous, sexually active life they have. Some would disagree but others would say their purpose in living just to procreate is quite ambitious.

Anyway, mosquitoes abound also because it has been a very wet summer. Thunderstorms most afternoons are washing us out but they are lovely for huddling in a corner to read or write or catch an episode of one of my many favorite Netflix BBC series. Nuttin' wrong with that, in my opinion.

Speaking of reading, I have become a great fan of historic romances of which I once scoffed. Now I find myself inner eased in many oldie,but goodies but some new and lovely novels by authors that were born to write. I melt into these books, the latest being Sara Gruen's At The water's Edge set in Scottland with a nod to Ye old Lochness Monster. But read between the lines and analyse the characters carefully. There is so much more to this book than one might first suspect. Sara is indeed one'of my favorite " animal rights as well as romance" writers and I can't wait for her next book to come out. Also, she loves to surprise us with little ditties scattered throughout her novels which often surpass the delight quota!

I've been researching two areas of interest: one being travel writing ( of course!!) along with jobs I can  do part time as I travel, of course. I have lots of experience in and of itself: Finance knowledge, computer work, in odd jobs...being a mortgage broker for thirty years encased a whole set of job
values. Customer service being a biggie. Computer knowledge (it not my fav) , communications, marketing, sales, kissing various and sundry butts. Yes, sad but true. Should I put that on my resume??
I haven't written a resume in so long, I'm pretty sure it will come out lame at best. Should I include the three years I taught guitar without really knowing how to play?? What about the writing course I offered up and coming Great American Novelists who needed someone like me who lied about her credentials ages ago so I could get said job? What about the years I spent as the lamest receptionist-manicurist - magazine reader because that was, after all, what the job called for?
No, I think I can come up with something a bit more intellectual and honest. The mortgage stuff included creativity and customer care. My two years as a magazine advertising exec. Could land me a temp. Job selling advertising via phone. My four years as a dispatcher and then food buyer for a large drug store change in Va. Could get me a variety of positions. Such as how to spot mouse turds in packaged freeze dried mashed potatoes. Or little buggy parts in cereal. Yeah, those could definitely land me a hot little job while I'm on the road, especially if I can identify said bug parts!


No comments:

Post a Comment